Lavender Moisturising Lotion Bar for Dry Skin
This lotion bar provides a soothing, moisturising alternative to lotions that is suitable for face, hands and all over the body. Lotion bars look and feel like a solid bar of soap and their consistency is not as creamy or wet as a lotion, but when applied onto the skin, will act like a lotion. They have the benefit of being easy to make as you don’t need water to make them, and thus need an emulsifier to bind with the oils.
- 2 parts yellow beeswax beads
- 1 part sweet almond oil (replace with grapeseed oil or jojoba oil if allergic to almond)
- 1 part deodorised cocoa butter (replace with unrefined organic shea butter or mango butter if allergic to cocoa)
- lavender essential oil: 1-2% of fat/oil content
- natural vitamin E oil: 0.01%-0.2% of fat/oil content
- Melt the beeswax and cocoa butter on the stove in a clean pot.
- Once melted, remove from the heat and then add the sweet almond oil, and vitamin E oil.
- Mix in the lavender essential oil drop by drop until the mixture achieves the desired aromatic scent.
- Pour the mixture into a mould. A 1 litre milk carton would be a perfect, cost-effective choice to produce a log that can be cut into 100g sized lotion bars.
- Leave to set fully before using.
- The beeswax provides a protective barrier to keep out skin irritants whilst at the same time allows the skin to breathe.
- Sweet almond oil in skincare has great moisturising properties and is well-suited for dry and irritated skin. It is easily absorbed into the skin and thus does not leave an oily or sticky feel to the skin.
- Cocoa butter is amazing for dry skin as it can easily penetrate deep below the top layer of the skin so that it moisturises deep-down and really nourishes the skin.
- Amongst the many benefits of lavender oil, it has moisturising properties to help dry, sore hands, callused feet, and dry skin patches.
- The vitamin E oil is a natural antioxidant and will help slow down the oxidisation process of the lotion bar thus maximising the shelf life. The oil also prevents water loss from the skin and so helps to retain the skin’s natural moisture levels. Effectively, it makes dull, dry skin look healthy and well-moisturised.